From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:27:37 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

Zoology is interesting to me, but I claim no particular distinction in
the field.  HOWEVER, I think we need to examine some of the central
assumptions particular to this recent thread.  Yes, I said assumptions.
The biggest one, of course, being the identity of the reptile involved
in these horrific events that we have recently been appraised of.

The claim has been made that the ferret initially killed was killed by
an alligator.  Well, I have seen no evidence to suggest that the killer
was, in fact, an alligator, and not a crocodile.  The alligator, or
'gator' has a range limited to the southeastern U.S., and some parts of
China.  The crocodile, by comparison, has a much broader territorial
range.  Where did these alleged slayings take place?  We don't know.

In point of fact, the scant photographic evidence does not allow me to
discriminate between alligators, caimans, crocodiles (American, Chinese,
Australian, or Nile), and the more gracile garails as either the initial
aggressor or the subsequent victim..

I strongly suggest that we refrain from taking any action until this
matter is resolved.  We simply do not have enough information available
at this moment to formulate an appropriate response to this horror we
have so recently been appraised of.  Restraint is difficult, I know, in
the face of such an outrage, but our strength as a community will sustain
us, while we begin the long journey that is the hallmark of justice.

Courage.

Alexandra in MA