Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 11:38:02 -0700
>From:    dma <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Are ferrets dangerous to babies?

I only have personal experience.  We have 2 ferrets.  A 1 yr old male and a
4 month old female, and a 3 month old sub-human male.  Also 2 cats.

For the most parts the ferrets show no interest in the child.  They do love
his toys, and his pacifier.  I had one problem with my large male taking the
pacifer from my sons mouth and leaving a scratch on his nose.  I was
watching the boy and it happened so quickly there was nothing I could do and
there were two other adults present too.  The ferrets are just too fast and
a child demands a lot of attention.  Now the ferrets are caged when the boy
is out and the the boy is caged when the ferrets are out ;).

I don't think ferrets (or other pets) should be around children until the
child is able to control the animal.  Until then they will be kept apart.  I
am already working on ferret proofing the baby proofing stuff like gates
etc... I don't really see a problem as long as you are proactive.

Vet question??????

My one year old neutered male Moose has Orange-speckled, crusty patches on
the last 1/2 to 1/3 of his tail.  There is no aparent hair loss and it does
not appear to bother him at all.  Even my handling and inspecting dosen't
matter.  I read the FAQ and was wondering if before I bath him if I can put
baby oil on his tail to loosen the patches like you do with infants with
cradle cap?

Also, is there anything else I can do for this condition of 'ferret
psioriasis'.

TIA    Roger