From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:55:16 EDT
>Hi,
>Has anyone had experience treating eosinophilic gastroenteritis?  My
>little male, Yeti, suffers from this condition.... Any suggestions about
>treating this would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi Lisa

Yes, I have had one diagnosed and successfully treated for EG.  Misha is a
4yo male who exhibited symptoms of a blockage (he was straining to go, but
was able to pass some stools, so we thought he was partially blocked.  Gave
him a 1" ribbon on laxatone).  Within a couple hours, Misha began passing
blood - bright red and vomiting.  Instead of waiting for our appointment
later that day, we took him in right then.  The vets did surgery on Misha -
and couldn't find any blockages - only some thickening in the pyloris, and
surrounding intestine.  They biopsied and sent to Dr. Williams.  We assumed
that Misha had the beginnings of cancer.  Misha recovered beautifully - he
stayed at the hospital for 3 days, during which time he was on
prednisolone, as an anti-inflammatory.  He was also on IV fluids and
antibiotics.  The results of the biopsy showed EG.  I talked with my vet
(thanks to a great suggestion from Dick Bossart) about treating Misha with
Ivermectin.  We did 0.4cc of Ivermectin in three doses, every two weeks.
(The treatment that Dick pointed out was from Biology and diseases of the
Ferret, Dr. Fox, 2nd edition).  Misha has not had a recurrance - and this
happened in March of this year.

I hope that Yeti does as well as Misha is......Misha may be dumb, but he is
cute and would be terribly missed.....

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854