From:
Dawn Gsoell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:06:33 -0500
"A zeal for different opinions concerning religion, concerning government,
and many other points, as well of speculation as of practice; an attachment
of different leaders ambitiously contending for preminence and power; or to
persons of other descriptions whose fortunes have been interesting to the
human passions, have, in turn, divided mankind into parties, inflamed them
with with mutual animosity, and rendered them much more disposed to vex and
oppress each other than to cooperate for their common good...But the most
common and durable source of factions has been the various and unequal
distribution of property."
-James Madison

Dear FML,
I received 19 personal e-mails, and my post generated 8 FML posts.  I am
sorry if I offended anyone.  I was not implying that the people who
receive, and read the FML are not helpful.  It was not my intent to imply
that shelters are bad, or that euthanizing sick ferrets is good.  I did not
mean to imply that ferret breeders are bad.  I was just trying to see if
anyone could help.  I re-read my post and realized that while my intent was
to see if anyone could help, I did not specifically ask for help.

I need help.  I will not be moving until I get a new job.  I am in the
process of looking/applying/testing/interviewing for jobs now.  In my new
profession it takes an average of 18 months to get hired.  In my case I
cannot predict if that time frame will be shorter, or longer for me.  What
I do know is that when I get hired, I will have to start the job, and move
simultaneously.  I will barely be able to keep up with my human children, a
full-time college course load, and my new job.  The place where I am moving
is my only option, and the homeowner's association doesn't allow ferrets.
If it weren't for that, I would find a way to make time for my ferrets.
Unfortunately I will be forced to move when I take a new job, since my
present job (apartment manager) is tied to my housing, and my boss has
told me that she will not allow me to stay when I get a new job.

I don't currently have the money to give the adrenal ferret the vetrinary
care he needs, and the insulinoma ferret the amount of care he should be
getting.  My first ferret was a gift from a relative.  I purchased the
second ferret to keep her company.  The third ferret was a rescue, great
story, no room here to tell it though.  The fourth ferret was purchased
from a breeder who I later learned is not known for quality breeding.  The
fifth ferret was adopted from the shelter after being in my home in foster
care.  He was returned to the shelter for adoption, passed up, and then
stopped eating, the shelter operator said he missed me.  I adopted him
then, and he recovered.  The two long-term foster ferrets are in my care
because the male (who is 7) is adrenal, and his cage mate is only 3.  I
have been taking care of them for a year now.  I ended up with this many
ferrets because I was trying to help.  Not because I was "collecting,"
without regard for my budget.

Regarding the local shelter that I mentioned.  It is run by a very
dedicated person.  She does the best she can with little or no local
support.  Over the years that have been in contact with the shelter I have
done all I could to help.  This shelter is buried in vet bills, and is not
longer accepting new ferrets.  In no way did I mean to imply that the
shelter is inadequete, or that the care that the ferrets receive there is
insufficient.  I just don't want to send my ferrets there.  I am sorry if I
offended anyone, that was not my intent.  I am at my wits end looking for
solutions to this situation.  I have written personal replies to everyone
who wrote to me.  Most of the replies I received were supportive, and
helpful.  Thank you to everyone whose replies were positive, and
encouraging.  This is a very tough dilemma for me, and I appreciate the
support I have received.