From:
Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:42:04 EDT
Michelle

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will give you an idea of what questions
are asked on my adoption form.  Have you ever owned a ferret before?  Do you
know what ECE is?  What type of pets (if any) are currently living with you?
Do you have children?  How much do you think it will cost to care for this
animal this year?  If you move, what will you do with your ferrets?  what if
they are not allowed?  If you rent, are ferrets allowed?

These IMO are not intrusive questions -- I am not asking for your checking
account number, your blood type or a credit report -- the only thing I give
a damn about is the ferrets welfare!  No, I do not have a degree in human
behavior and I have been fooled, but for the most part I feel good about the
homes and the adoptions.  I think I do a good job and of course there is
always room for improvement.

The questions are not designed to be intrusive, but to make you THINK.
About the future, about what you might be getting yourself into, about the
responsibilities of pet ownership.  What will you do when you go on
vacation?  If there is a family emergency?  How long do the ferrets stay in
their cages?  I designed my forms and another shelters forms based on what
the SPCA's and other rescue organization use.  There is an excellent reason
for each and every question and I stand by what I ask.

I am not a pet store, and I do turn people down.  If people are
uncomfortable with my questions, they are of course free to purchase from a
petstore.  I just hope that they do whats best for the ferret.  Having a
choice like that satisfies everyone.  I prefer to screen potential adoptees,
since most of the ferrets that I get in are because of impulse buys, changes
in home life, didn't check with the landlord first, moving, etc.  and I
don't want my shelter kids to get into that situation again.

My shelter is an open book -- ask and I will answer.  I post my shelter
stats each time on the SOS.  People are always welcome to drop by.  I don't
and won't hide anything.  My IRS determination is available from the US Govt
and I can give you or show you a copy of it if you wish.  Anyone wishing to
view my adoption paperwork can see it at: www.kozykingdom.com/shelters.  Its
there, just select adoption form.

I am sorry that some people are offended by my questions, but ya know what?
I had to answer those questions myself once, and I was happy that the people
cared enough about the shelter kids to ask me.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"