From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:44:56 -0400
Matan wrote:
>... i shall not get her spayed no matter what u will say.
>
>... Bsides of the health which is in danger, while she is in heat, she
>acts very badly: always bites, and generally acts like a madcow and it
>really drives mr crazy.

Here are your options:

1 - Breed the jill for another litter.  This isn't a good option, since the
jill has already produced one litter this season.  Jills shouldn't be bred
for more than one litter per year.  Why?  This makes them old before their
time and will shorten their lifespan.

2 - Get the jill a hormone injection to bring her out of heat.  This is not
a bad option, but in my experience, some jills will not go out of heat with
the shot.  This can also be an expensive venture, depending on the number
of times the jill cycles in.  I have known of jills that have cycled in 4
to 6 times a year.  Each time the jill cycles in puts stress on her body.
Everytime you take her out of heat she will most likely go through a false
pregnancy - her body goes through all the changes that a true pregnancy
entails.  This also puts undue stress on her.

3 - You take the added risk of possible ovarian tumors sometimes found in
older jills who have not been spayed.

4 - You can't get her out of heat and she develops aplastic anemia and
dies.

5 - She is continuously having pms with all the hormone fluctuations and is
not the sweet tempered jill that she could be if she wasn't always cycling
in and out.

The bottom line is this.  If you are going to breed ferrets you should
realize the extra risks for your jill.  Intact jills run the risk of a
life threatening uterine infection each time they come into heat.  There
is the risk of losing her each time she comes in heat, each time she is
bred, each time she produces kits.  Unless you understand each of these
risks and are ready to take action, you should not have an intact jill.

Vickie
Just a Business of Ferrets
www.mindspring.com/~jbferret