From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 03:17:31 -0600
Howdy Fantastic Fuzzy Fellows ;o)

We do hope ya'all are dooking with ferty joys abundant today!  And Ferris
and I as always, keep all ailing fuzzies and their folks in our prayers!

We'd like to offer a couple of quick comments in response today . . .

>Lipinski's Itty Bits (fourth)
>Melanie Hawkins ferret reported drooling saliva in her car.  The sense
>of smell possessed by the ferret is,oh, some report,at least 500 times
>greater than man's. Melanie Hawkins-your car is about to kill you with
>escaping carbon monoxide gas from your exhaust system.It most certainly
>will kill your ferret first. Suggest you get car checked right away.

Well gee, I guess ya MIGHT be right here ED, Lord knows this theory did
prove effective when it was the "Canary" utilized within "Mines".  BUT it
is also possible, that your assumption is completely wrong as well.  The
fact you see is, that I have known several ferts which have "drooled" at
times, and all for a variety of reasons, one which stands out in this
particular instance is my experience with UBU, ANYTIME she had to travel
in a vehicle she suffered with bouts of "car sickness" and "drooled".  It
became a regular practice with her to treat her with "gravol" prior the
excursion, and without fail it eliminated her "drooling" during the trip
and indeed, what had been once a fairly unpleasant event for her, turned
out to be one which she came to thourghly enjoy, once her travelsickness
was no longer an issue, she absolutely adored sitting up on my lap with her
little front paws on the dash of the car, watching the world passing by as
we went.

As well, with another precious boy CoCo, who had a rare condition where he
had an unusually "small" "esophigial opening", he would frequently end up
"drooling" because he had eaten his food or treat TOO quickly, in effect he
was "choking" himself by his exuberance for dinner, he'd soon head over to
the water dish, and after a slurp or two he'd be fine and head back to the
food, at a "bit" slower pace, til the next meal anyhoo!

And so, it seems to us here, there are OTHER reasons which could be the
cause behind this darling's "drooling", and to attempt to "diagnose" the
cause without even "seeing" the ferret, or considering ALL the possible
contributing factors which may well be involved, is at the best of times
an UNWISE practice, and one which could have disasterously devastating
consequence in it's wake.

Regardless of the condition in question, be it "drooling", or some other
concern, we would strongly urge all fertfolk, to "investigate" ALL the
"possibilities", BEGINNING WITH THE FERT itself through an experienced
Ferret veterinarian, and additionally, ANY and ALL environmental factors
which MIGHT prove to be playing a part.  (With the possible exception of
such obvious events as a KNOWN poisining, in which case none the less, the
first response would still be to immediately consult a veterinarian, but
whereas you'd also be able to provide valid and relevant information
pretaining to the substance involved ) Always if there's ANY possibility
that a Ferret may be ill, or is believed to be ill, or is obviously ill,
you FIRST consult a fert vet, and then should any mystery remain, you do as
Melanie has, and investigate it by looking to other avenues, such as the
FML, the Net and WWW sites, books, etc.  But be wary in so doing,
discriminatly weighing the statements and suggestions you'll encounter
along the way, realizing that it is your dear ones very being which will in
end be effected, whether beneficially or detrimentally, by that which we
decide is right for them.  Though we'd never intentionally set out to bring
harm to our loved ones, in that it is a very grave responsibility in our
hands, we believe it is deserving of the highest degree of effort and
consideration and loyal performance on our part, to see to it, as much as
we are able, that harm is never visited upon our charges.

And especially to Melanie, we'd like to commend you in your efforts for
your darling.  There are in fact many possible reasons for a ferret to
"drool" and in knowing as little as I do about the actual occurence that
you experienced, I'd have to refrain from making ANY diagnoses here as far
as your particular situation.  I can share, as I have above, similar
experiences I myself have had, and perhaps they can assist you deducing the
matter there.  I also don't know anything about your car, and so I'd leave
any further determination as to the need in your case to heed the "advice"
of Mr. Ed Lipinski given in his post, or the urgency of it, to you alone.
We will also, very gladly, include you in our prayers, and we hope you
shall in any regard find the answer you seek, and that the fuzz darling
involved shall be troubled no more.

Ferris " Ah gee mom, does I has ta wear dat Gas Mask agin!? "

and his mom