Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:03:03 -0400
Well, this time I have mostly been reading the posts on raw/kibble
diets. I have been feed a natural diet (raw chicken, etc.) for over 6
months now and I am still satisfied with my decision - which I might
add took me over 5 years to make. I think Suki's suggestion on adding
downsides of raw feeding is well taken as there are a few things that
took some getting used to.

1) the poops might be smaller, but they are definately stinkier - "Who
   just used the litter box? PHEWWWW!!
2) it is critcal to provide food at least twice a day, so this means,
   no overnight pajama parties with friends, unless they stay at my house.
3) wasted, leftover uneaten food - "Do you guys have any idea how much
   this chicken cost me?????"

On the other hand, I love watching the kids eat their dinner as they
just close their eyes in ecstasy as they chew away on their dinner. One
interesting observation that I would like to share... I have a foster
ferret who is about 6 months old. He is being fed kibble as I didn't
want to disturb his diet when he is adopted. However, he decided to
join the natural-fed kids at dinner time. He picks the boniest piece
of chicken and eats the whole thing. I never tried to introduce him to
natural foods - he just made the decision on his own. He still gets
kibble, which he thoroughly enjoys. I just think it is interesting that
he chose to eat the raw chicken on his own, while it took months to
convert the others to a natural diet. Now I realize that some on this
list will say that ferrets eat raisins and such and it's not good for
them, so don't think that I am suggesting that Teddy chose raw chicken
because he knows it's good for him. I just stating an observation.

Anyway, I hope someday we have more solid evidence as to what is the
best diet to feed our ferrets. In the meantime, I do enjoy reading
about ferret diets, how they might differ and improvements being made
in the kibble industry. Diet in ferrets is something that should be
openly and freely discussed, so that we all may share in as much
information as we can get. The final decision on diet still rests on
the shoulders of the ferret owner and I know that each one of us is
making the decision that we feel most strongly about. I do want to
thank people like Shirley Hewett and others who have had the courage
and commitment to share their knowledge with us.

Phyllis