From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:13:54 -0700
Dear Mary,
I had hoped someone more knowledgeable than I would have responded to
your first post, but haven't seen anything thus far... so here it goes
Lupron is for adrenal tumors... period.  It is highly effective, and is
used if the ferret cannot tolerate surgery (first choice for adrenal
tumors), and used for ferrets after surgery to keep the tumor tissue (if
there is any) from growing.  It retards the growth of adrenal tumors.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory steroidal medication, and in ferrets
is used primarily for insulinoma in ferts.  It does nothing for adrenal
tumors, and I think, that if possible, again, surgery for insulinomic
ferts is the best option in removing the tumors from the pancreas.  The
predinsone is not a 'cure'.... it assists the body in regulating the
insulin.  Hopefully someone with a far better knowledge base than I will
respond to this, and help Mary and little Tweaky understand the different
actions.  I also wonder why her Vet has not taken the time to talk with
her??

Big hugs, and will keep Tweaky in my thoughts!
Michelle and the gang of 15
ps, there are pain meds for fuzzies, but am in the middle of a 'senior
moment'... anyone out there want to post the name of it?  Tweaky should
not be hurting!