From:
Robin Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:37:29 EDT
Posted with permission from Hildy Langewis, director California Domestic
Ferret Association/FURR Rescue

 To:  California Ferret Lovers
      California Ferret Clubs
      Wildlife Rescue Organizations

Since 1987 the California Domestic Ferret Association (CDFA) has been the
sole entity licensed to rescue and transport ferrets.  For the last 15
years I have filled the role as rescue coordinator, for the last 6 years
Robin in S CA has assumed responsibility for S CA rescue.  I was also the
rescue coordinator for the Agricultural Inspection Station program until
Garry P. took over 6 years ago.

Ferrets are quite common in CA, even though they do not enjoy legal
status.  Many animal lovers have established underground shelters and
handle private placement of ferrets.  Due to the guidelines established
by the CA Department of Fish & Game (DFG) CDFA does not handle private
surrenders; we would be required to report each ferret and transport it
out of state.  CA has a larger human population than Oregon, Nevada, and
Arizona combined; unfortunately we cannot expect to find out of state
homes for all the needy ferrets in CA.  To address this problem we
formed the Yahoo group CAFerretExch, facilitating the placement and
adoption of ferrets, without involving CDFA.

The group now has over 600 members.  In the beginning there were very
few rescues.  Each situation was difficult, but due to the tenacity and
professionalism of our volunteers, we were successful in establishing
working relationships with animal control agencies around the state.
With the increased popularity of ferrets we now handle calls daily,
especially in S CA.  Robin's 6 years of rescue is equal to my 15 years,
that's how busy it is in S CA.  Currently, CDFA handles over 400 rescues
a year.  One organization with two rescue coordinators simply cannot
continue to effectively rescue ferrets.

Managing the rescue program has been very satisfying as well as extremely
stressful.  At this time Bill Phillips, Robin, and I have decided it is
time to retire from ferret rescue.  Mr. Phillips holds the permit, and he
will not renew it for 2007.  This year has been particularly stressful
due to the number of rescues, the lack of volunteers and out of state
adoptive homes, and interference from folks outside of our rescue
program.  It's time to step aside and ask that others step forward to
help ferrets.

CDFA has asked DFG to accept applications from individuals and
organizations interested in helping ferrets.  Each DFG region (6 in all)
should have one or two ferret rescue licensed contacts.  Regional rescues
will be able to work closely with the DFG Patrol Chief, DFG wardens, and
animal control agencies.

I will be providing a list of contacts that we have developed over the
years, allowing the new permitted rescues to establish contacts within
their area.  See below for a list of counties within the 6 regions.

I have a link to the Restricted Species Laws and Regulations.  In the
interest of efficiency and cost savings I ask that all inquiries and
questions be handled via email.  I simply don't have the time or energy
to speak with everyone on the phone.  My email address is

The Restricted Species Laws and Regulations are located here:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1518.pdf
25 page document.

Basically, new applicants for a Restricted Species Shelter Permit must
meet the requirements of Section 671.1(c)(1), Title 14, of the California
Code of Regulations (CCR), Section 671.1(c)(1), Title 14, of the CCR,
Sections 671.1(c)(2) and (6), Title 14, of the CCR and Section
671.1(b)(8), Title 14, of the CCR.

In addition, the applicant must comply with terms and conditions of
a permit.  The Department may deny the issuance of a permit if the
conditions of Section 671.1(b), Title 14, of the CCR are not met or the
failure to comply with terms and conditions of a permit or provisions of
Section 671-671.6 (Section 671.1(c)(4), Title 14, of the CCR).

Specifically sections (c) (1) (2) (6) on page 10
671.1 (b) (8) on page  9

DFG is interested in issuing permits regionally.  The 6 regions are as
follows:

Region 1 -- Northern: Humboldt, Trinity, Del Norte, Siskiyou, Modoc,
Shasta, Lassen, Tehama

Region 2 -- Northeast: Glenn, Butte, Plumas, Sierra, Nevada, Yuba,
Sutter, Colusa, Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado, Amador,
San Joaquin, Calaveras, Alpine

Region 3 -- Central Coast: Mendocino, Lake, Sonoma, Napa, Marin, Contra
Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, San
Benito, Monterey, San Luis Obispo

Region 4 -- Central: Tuolumne, Stanislaus, Merced, Mariposa, Madera,
Fresno, Kings, Tulare, Kern

Region 5 -- S. Coast: Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San
Diego

Region 6 -- Southeast: Mono, Inyo, San Bernardino, Riverside, Imperial

DFG has asked me to submit a list of individuals and organizations that
would like to apply for a permit.  You are welcome to apply directly,
however DFG will give priority to folks we recommend.

I have mailing addresses for most animal control shelters; names and
addresses will be made available to those who are granted a permit.