From:
Chana Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 04:37:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/8/04, [log in to unmask] writes:
>I am on disability and take care of my elderly mother

I don't mean this as a flame!  I promise you, I'm just trying to point
out some things you may not have thought of.  That said, what has your
response got to do with the question of being a responsible ferret
caretaker?

Sorry, but all it proves is that
1) money is a serious issue,
2) you have a huge responsibility besides the ferret, and
3) you are disabled, which for all we know could include mental
instability or severe physical handicap, either of which could
interfere with proper care of the ferret.

Any of these situations could certainly be overcome (is there anyone on
this list who *isn't* struggling with money AND with other, serious
obligations????  And certainly all of us have our own physical and mental
limitations, too!).  However, having all 3 situations together doesn't
convince me that this ferret *desperately needs* you and that I should
send money to you (even if I *did* want to support PetCo in their ferret
sales, which I don't).

However, if you're still convinced that you would be a wonderful ferret
caretaker (and you may well be!!!!), then I would certainly encourage you
to contact your local ferret shelter, go through the normal screening
process, and adopt a ferret who truly *needs* a home.  Your little PetCo
guy, if he hasn't been sold already, will certainly find a home unless
he's got something wrong with him.  If he's cute and has stolen your
heart, then chances are he will steal someone else's, too.

Good luck with it!

Chana