From:
Jerusalem Biblical Zoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:33:17 +2
Hi All - Matan does exist, at least on the phone... He is idealistic,
ignorant and opinionated.  And very young...

As for the demand for ferrets in Israel, there is very little demand at
this point, especially by knowledgeable people.  Most places are stopping
their breeding programs because they can't sell the ferrets.  And don't
even think about making money from ferret breeding.  Won't happen.
Remember, here, most ferrets are sold whole and they breed (and/or die)
fairly quickly.  I can't count the number of rescues, rejected, abandoned
etc ferrets I have handled over the last 3 years.  For the last 2 years,
the zoo has sold only fixed ferrets, with all 3 distemper and full rabies
vaccinations, with microchip for about $40.  The reason was so people
wouldn't go out and buy whole animals from other sources.  This spring
however, we spayed and neutered all of ours, so no more.  Most of the area
breeders have also stopped breeding.  It's mostly the privates, like Matan
who still want to breed.

Am getting burnt out quickly as it is so frustrating to deal with the kind
of attitude you are seeing in Matan.  Believe me, his belief is more common
than the idea that spaying/neutering is the best option.  Our latest hassle
is with a vet who announced publicly that ferrets don't need distemper
shots!  You don't even what to ask about attiitudes toward proper housing
and feeding.

Gee, can you tell, I'm a bit frustrated <read bitter> ???

Back to lurk mode,

Bev from Jerusalem

Beverly Burge
Section Head - Hospital/Quarantine
Medical Registrar

Tisch Family Zoological Gardens in Jerusalem
Fax: 972-2-642-1655
Phone: 972-2-675-0140