From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:32:37 -0400
My ferret Tigger is finally beginning to show signs of recovery from her
surgery/illness.  She is more active (still not normal but better) and has
started eating some on her own.  Before I was having to force-feed her.
Now she will eat a mixture of baby food, Nutrical and water very willingly,
but will not eat her usual diet of Totally Ferret kibble.  I ground up some
Totally Ferret with a coffee grinder and mixed it with water, but she still
will not take the kibble by itself.  If I mix some with the baby food
mixture, she will eat it then as long as I do not put in too much TF.  I
don't know if the TF is tough on her digestive system right now, or if
she associates her old food with being sick and has lost her taste for it.
Any ideas?

Anyway, to get to my question - if I keep it refrigerated, how long will
the ground up kibble and water mixture stay fresh?  When should I toss
it and make up a fresh batch?  I know the kibble normally has a pretty
long shelf life, but I'm sure the added water will change that some.

I would also welcome more recipes for feeding sick ferrets.  Some of you
have already sent me this type of information.  I looked at Bob Church's
"Chicken Gravy" recipe, but I am not sure if I could get a whole chicken
to purree completely.  Anyone have any simpler recipes that will also
work?

Thanks,
Holly
Tigger & Pooh