From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 15:48:08 EDT
FHbytheSea writes:
>I'm sorry that you had what you feel is a bad experience -- I think that
>both judging standards and judges try the very best they can to be fair...

Lisa,

I don't feel it was a *bad* experience.  I understand that judges are human
and scoring varies.  Sure, I was disappointed...is any ferret mom or dad
not disappointed if their ferret doesn't get a ribbon? <g>   On the other
hand, I would hate to see the same ferrets win at every single show...who,
other than the people showing those winners, would want to enter their fur
kids?  There was a lot of complaining at the meeting after the GCFA show
last year, but I honestly didn't agree with any of it.  Judges are simply
people...some see things differently.  Personally, I understand... even
though I'd love to see my own get Best of Show at every show I enter them!
LOL

The one thing I feel LIFE did at the Michigan show that was really, really
great is have a separate ring for the judges' ferrets.  I know I'm not the
only one that feels that judges (obviously) know what to look for in a
ferret and so have a better chance of winning ribbons.  I know judges'
ferrets don't always win, but I thought the separate ring was a nice
thing for us "common" ferret people.

I was, however, definitely distressed to order the LIFE Show Standard book
and read that marks were not deducted for stained teeth.  At the show in
Michigan...no ifs, ands, or buts...one of the judges told me there was no
difference between stained teeth and dirty teeth, they were judging for
"the perfect ferret".  I don't know who it was and probably wouldn't say if
I did.  I didn't recognize that particular judge, but I wouldn't recognize
most judges.  I take your word that this statement was only that particular
judge's sentiment and is not how you, or most LIFE judges, score.

To me, no ferret show is a bad experience.  I go to have fun and meet other
ferret lovers, see far away friends again, and buy lots and lots of neat
ferret stuff.  If one of mine wins a ribbon, it's just extra icing on the
cake!

Judy