From:
Gosia Kozak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:38:01 -0400
I am writing to you on behalf of the Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa
and Area (FRSO). Since its inception in 2000, the rescue has sheltered
438 unwanted, abandoned, and abused ferrets; of these, 304 have found a
home with a new family. Unfortunately, due in large part to untreatable
medical conditions, some of the ferrets under the care of the Rescue
Society are unable to be adopted and have become permanent shelter
residents. The shelter adheres to a *NO-KILL** Policy*. The only
exception is under conditions which are medically impossible to treat
or heal and which reduce a ferret to a sufferable condition. Due in
large part to the global economic situation, which Canada itself has
experienced, the shelter has experienced an increase in the number
of surrendered ferrets, many of which are older and suffer medical
conditions that make them undesirable as adoptees. Currently, over
40 ferrets eagerly await their forever home. While the shelter runs
several fundraising activities throughout the year, the number of
ferrets currently at the shelter, combined with their medical needs,
has made it acutely difficult to maintain the level of care these furry
companions deserve; food bills alone tally over $500 per month, a cost
largely absorbed by individual volunteers. Recently, a letter has been
sent informing the ferret community that due to financial difficulties,
the shelter may no longer be able to accept additional ferrets and may
have to close its doors.

The shelter is desperatly seeking donations of any kind, we have
several fundraising events throughout but these have not been enough to
cover the mountain of food and veterinary expences. If anyone can help
in any please contact me at [log in to unmask] or call the Ferret Rescue
of Ottawa and Area at 613-296-4357. Thank you