From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 12:45:13 -0400
To all those with question....

I really don't want to offend anyone here, but I feel the need to remind
everyone of the vast resources available to ferret owners.  We all know how
vital the FML is, however there are other sources you should use in addition
to the FML.

First, I would like to urge all of the FML subscribers to make it a habit to
read the FML regularly, never missing a single issue.  Every subject
immaginable relating to ferrets is covered in this wonderful ferret digest.
Whether you need help with the right litter to choose, why not to use wood
shavings, how to introduce new ferret, what to feed them, how to help a
biting ferret become more sociable, what shots they need, how to handle
special illnesses, or anything else you could possibly think of, IT **IS**
COVERED REGULARLY ON THE FML.

I know, believe me, how hard it is sometimes to find time to read every one,
however I DO manage to make time to at least scan the information for
"important" health related info that I may be able to use at a later date.
I suggest that you all try very hard to do the same.  If you miss an issue,
they are very easy to get, all you need to do is ask for the issue that you
missed and you will probably have it the same day you request it.  I am sure
we have all seen repeated questions on the FML from those who only check it
occasionally.

Second, the new subscribers (and anyone else who has not read them) should
first read ALL of the FAQ's, as they cover roughly 75 percent of the most
often covered subjects.

Third, Pam Grant of STAR*Ferrets has put a great deal of work into
maintaining an extensive database of ferret vets, shelters, clubs, and
others across the US and also in other countries.  If you need to find a vet
or anyone else involved with ferrets in your area, PLEASE check out this
database.  I am certain that you will find it most helpful, and you can
retrieve this list at anytime day or night, this is much quicker than
waiting for your post to go out on the FML then waiting for others to
respond to it.  It also provides a very complete list.  If this list does
not contain someone in your area to contact regarding ferrets, call the
nearest shelter to you, as they may still be able to help you find help in
your area.  If you are still unsuccessful in finding the persons or
organizations you seek, then post to the FML just in case someone from your
area is reading the list and can help you.  You can also help Pam keep the
list current by sharing any contacts you find that are not on the list with
her so she can add them.  This will help everyone.

Fourth, please seek out the excellent ferret books available, for instance,
Deborah Jean's book 'A Practical Guide To Ferret Care' is a MUST for any
ferret owner and covers many different subjects.

The format of the FML and the generous *sharing* of information between it's
subscribers is wonderful and I want very much to see it continue.  I only
offer these suggestions to help *everyone* out there.  You see, if you watch
closely, the ones most often responding to questions posted on the FML are
those that are the most involved with ferrets, therefore, they (myself
included) are the BUSIEST of all.  We are shelter operators, club
organizers, vets, etc., and we are pulled in many directions on a continual
basis.  We are up all hours of the night with sick fuzzies, on the telephone
all hours helping others, scooping poop at midnight, etc., etc., because we
are so dedicated to these little ones.  Our time is very valuable as we have
so much to do to help our shelter fuzzies and other ferret owners locally,
this makes it difficult to get to all the questions on the FML and,
unfortunately, many of us have to be selective in the ones we choose to
reply to as it is hard to respond to every litterbox question to come along
in addition to handling the more serious and urgent life threatening health
problems we read about on the FML.

Help us all out by researching as much as you can on your own before posting
questions to the FML that are already covered in great detail elsewhere.
You will undoubtedly find more information by researching a topic on your
own through the FAQ's than by a comment or two from those on the FML
replying to your question.  (We all tend to assume those asking have already
read the FAQ's.) Pam Greene and many others have put their heart and soul
into the FAQ's, I urge every ferret owner out there to take advantage of
this priceless resource.

I do my best to get to as many questions posed on the FML as I have the time
to, though I usually respond privately rather than posting answers to the
FML because of timing and attempting to conserve space on the FML.  I will
continue to respond as often as I can to the health related questions.  If
anyone wishes to e-mail me privately I will respond to any ferret question
regardless of the subject, and do my best to help.

Hope this helps.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter