From:
Burness Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:29:55 -0800
Outstanding posts, Kim! I'd be curious to know how knowledgeable this
vet is about the various pet nutritional needs in general and the
nutritional requirements of ferrets in particular. I've always been
amazed by how many vets are not even aware, or have forgotten, that
a ferret is an obligate carbivore. Fortunately for the welfare of
the pets they see and treat, more and more vets are becoming strong
proponents of a natural diet for dogs, cats, and ferrets when they
see the increased benefits and better health which results.

I agree that switching to a kibble diet from the correct raw/whole prey
diet is most likely the worst thing possible, especially for a kit who
has already endured so much stress in its young life. I would certainly
have a discussion with this vet about the ferret gastrointestinal
system and its nutritional needs, at the very least.