From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:16:16 +0000
Folks,

I seldom post to the FML anymore myself, but answer folks privately if I
have time.  This batch of posts just begged for reply, even at 1am after
a long day at work.

I'm very sorry to see Bruce Williams leave this list again.  He has been
an incredible resource, during a time period when the other vets (myself
included) on this list have just not had time to post regularly.  However,
I understand his reasoning, and I'm glad I've missed much of the discussion
commented on due to much use of my scroll key.  I just don't read anything
but medical issues these days.  I much preferred the days of 'silly ferret
tricks' and 'hey, look at the neat toy I came up with' and the tattoo posts
were fun, too.  The arguing is not, and never will be.  I get enough of
that from my clients.

Dr. Williams also wrote a wonderful post on vet bashing, that I completely
second.  Put me up there on that list - I learned most of what I know on my
own, after graduation.  I'm still learning, from my mistakes and others.
Support ferret-positive vets - there just aren't enough of us!

Note to Diane re: Abby,
>... Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'd recommend a second opinion from your vet, ASAP.  Sometimes it just
takes another set of eyes.  Also, remind the owner that a 3 hour fast
helps detect insulinoma, and should be discussed at the time of scheduling.

Note on Superglue:
>We use a sterile version in the ER, and my vet does too.  We need one of
>the Vets to tell us whether it's safe to substitute super glue at home.
>I would use it on myself for a superficial wound, but would hesitate to
>use it on a ferret without veterinary OK.

I wouldn't want to use commercial cyanoacrylate on a wound - I wouldn't
trust the processing or the sterility.  Besides, it is much better for a
veterinarian to assess the incision for infection, swelling, other reasons
for release of the sutures, etc.

>My guess is that any wound superficial enough to treat at home would
>probably heal OK by itself without the glue.  As for a surgical wound
>with premature suture removal by the patient, I would like to see what
>the Vets say.

I seldom have this happen, but it definitely does.  There are elizabethan
collars (lampshades) made for ferrets, some of the lab catelogs have them.
Belly wraps can help, as long as they last.  Some ferrets just don't won't
to be still, and the activity aggravates the healing tissue until they
chew.

>BTW, there is a product called NuSkin that I use for my own nicks and
>cuts - it is a liquid bandage product which contains an antibiotic.  I
>like it for hangnails, since a Bandaid is no use.  Burns like the dickens
>though!  Not sure if it's OK for ferrets but I'd think it was more suitable
>than Superglue.

Superglue gets hot and burns, too, if you get it on your skin.  That's why
we wear gloves, and prefer to use it on sleeping/anesthetized patients.
It is great for a quick fix in the office, though (the surgical kind,
that is).

Note on chemo:

Katherine wrote:
>I have seen yet another post saying that a ferret will not be given chemo
>because of the side-effects.  Please don't pass on this type of information
>unless you know it to be factual.  In fact, ferrets handle chemo quite
>well and are not prone to the side-effects that other animals and humans
>experience.  If you decide not to give chemo for your own reasons, that's
>fine.  Just don't dismiss it because you think there may be side-effects.
>Your vet should be able to talk to you about this.

I agree completely.  My ferret also had little difficulty with chemo.

Hope this info helps some folks and starts some thinking.  We can't afford
to lose too many vets here.  Any vet bashing/hate mail should come to me
personally, where I can delete it before it bothers anyone.

-Dr. Karen
DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only.  It is
in no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian.  If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.