From:
Linda Prowse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 10:44:35 -0700
Hi all,

My 3 year old sable, Waddy, is losing the fur on his neck.  I have checked
the medical FAQ, and have read that fur-loss, starting around the base of
the tail in most instances, is a symptom of adrenal disease.  However,
Waddy's fur loss is only on his neck and a little bit on his head.  The rest
of his body is covered and healthy.  He shows no other symptoms of disease.
He does not have a flea problem, is not on any medication, eats Iams kitten
food (as do all my fuzzies), and doesn't seem to be overly-itchy.

The vet advised me to "watch him" as it *could* be a sign of adrenal tumour,
however without exploratory surgery, adrenal disease can't be confirmed nor
denied.  I don't want to put Waddy through unnecessary surgery, however, if
it is adrenal disease, I would like him to be treated as early as possible.

Any comments on this??  As an aside, my 6 year old male, Scamp, lost all of
the fur on his belly and the under-side of his neck last summer.  The vet
again just said to watch him, and eventually after about 6 months, all of
Scamp's fur grew back and he's as healthy (and cute) as a little horse.
This is making me hope that Waddy will also be lucky enough to grow his fur
back and that he's otherwise healthy.

If anyone has had any experience with neck fur loss or if you can give me
any help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm worried about my
little Waddington.

Thank you, Linda, Scamp, Waddy, Casper & Shreddy

Linda Prowse