Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:04:50 -0400
It has taken several days for me to collect my thoughts to put in writing.
What I wanted to say would most likely not get printed.  I am surprised
that you can type as well as you do with just one hand.  (The other broken
by patting yourself on the back).

You praise yourself on the fact that you "hold" all ferrets for thirty days
before considering them adoptable.  Apparently you presume that all medical
problems should "blossom" in that time.  I can not agree with this.  Unless
you have CBCs and x-rays done on all your surrenders, you can not "see"
what is going on inside.  Case in hand: A wonderful albino boy was here for
over a year.  He was one of our ambassadors.  Traveled everywhere and was a
perfect gentleman.  He was finally adopted and I was thrilled.  He could be
spoiled rotten and enjoy the rest of his life.  Being older (5) I was
especially happy.  He passed away from Lymphosarcoma three months after
adoption.

Stating that your adoption fees are based "partly on color" makes me think
of a now defunct pet store.  If you wanted the plain old sable he was yours
for $159.99, BUT if you wanted the striking silver or the Dark Eyed White
you better be prepared to cough up $199.99.  I always thought this was
foolish.  The smaller privately owned pet stores were charging $139.99 for
ANY ferret.  Needless to say that the amount of money that was paid for the
ferret did not guarantee a lasting loving home, it just meant that the
person paid more for their "toy" of the moment.

Paperwork?  Am I to assume that you do not take in strays or work with
animal control?  Of course in the case of a stray the ferret is held for
a minimum of two weeks to try to locate the owner.  The adopter does get
a ferret information sheet.  It is filled out by me, as best as I can.

Your "lumps" may be very nutritional for the ferret, but does this mean
that the ferret can never return to kibble and the new owner must always
make this food?  You do not say you use this as a supplement, just that
you "change them over to it"

I find it hard to believe that a caring, sensitive, committed, and
genuinely nice guy like yourself would turn away a sick ferret, knowing all
too well that the person surrendering will most likely set it loose or have
it put down.  (The former being their most chosen option).  You have got to
be kidding!!!  Most ferrets are given up when the thrill is gone OR when
the owner already has noticed that something is wrong.  They may have
already gone to the vets and they can not afford treatment.  They don't
have the stamina to take the life of the ferret themselves so it is put to
the shelter operator.

Mr. Lipinski, the insinuations based on your so called expertise leaves
much to be desired.  I, for one, am not impressed with your almighty
attitude and your grandiose display of imperfection.  All sheltering would
be a lot easier if you had the choice of which ferrets to take, but that is
not the way of the shelter world.  We take the old, abused, sick and
unwanted.  That is true commitment.

We won't even go into your boasting about $$$$$$$$$$

Mary G. Mewton

http://www.mkaresq.com