Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:31:11 PST
 Oh such a lovely topic! :) It brings back such memories.....

To Anna whose cat has ringworm:

Ringworm is very contagious and Bill is correct in saying you can get it too.
Believe me, it's something you don't want to get. I used to work at a daycare
and I caught ringworm from the children there twice. Not real pleasant. The
burning itch is bad enough to make you want to do just about anything to
make it stop.

On humans, ringworm is a patch of skin that is red, very itchy, and lumps up
off the skin. It's often roundish in shape. I believe it's pretty much the same
on animals except I believe that there is some hair loss. (Humans also
if they get it on their scalp.)  Ringworm tends to get better from the center
outwards. It looks like a ring after awhile - hence its name. Check medical
references for more info on symptoms/treatment. If you get it, you'll know it.
The same goes for your other little critters.

Since it is so contagious, I would make sure to wash up really well after
contact with your new little cat. Athlete's foot, which is a kissing cousin to
ringworm, can be spread by things outside of the host like locker
room floors.There for, I would be cautious of things  like clothing that your
infected cat has touched or letting the animals in the same rooms (even if at
different times). I'm no medical expert here so maybe the experts have
something different to say. I would tend to err on the side of caution
especially since 1 animal to treat is easier than 4.

As for treatment, for humans there are a number of over the counter
treatments for athlete's foot which work against ringworm also. For your
little critters, I imagine your vet would have to give you something since
both cats and ferrets are both fanatical coat groomers and you wouldn't
want them ingesting anything that wouldn't be good for them.

I don't know if I helped at all. Good luck! :)

-kim
Kimberly Burkard        |              _    Everything I needed to know in life
Xerox, Rochester, NY    |       _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
[log in to unmask] |  ____/     \___/  Dance for joy often. Play often.
[log in to unmask] <____/\_---\_\    Be determined in your ventures.