From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 02:03:37 -0700
There is something called tinea versicolor, which is not a true
"ringworm", but I contracted it (as did every other member of the
household I worked at, and the housecats) either from the horses or
bales of hay.

Doctors will say that it is not something that is "spread", and yet
everyone came down with it over the course of a week and we had it for
at least six months. I had ring shaped patches that eventually filled
in with red, was not raised, but eventually flaked (like dandruff only
very light). On the head, it caused dandruff; on the face, it caused
dry skin and flaking, and on the chest and arms and neck caused red
spots. Eventually I looked like a burn victim, and I was the one most
afflicted - since I was the one brushing the horses, cleaning the
stables, and baling hay.

What is interesting is that the housecats also came with with it, as
did the wild cats. I have pictures of my condition and the cats, and
they lost fur where they got the ringworm/versicolor.

I would like to remind everyone that doctors do not know *everything*,
and there are still many vets that like to say that ferrets don't
contract any illnesses from cats (which they do, my vet has finally
admitted).

So as far as what I was diagnosed with - tinea versicolor, which can
look very much like ringworm (did they do a wood lamp test on your son?
or just look and diagnose), this can be spread - I'm not sure if it's
spread person to person, but perhaps by some other means.

I was confused by your post - did your ferrets get it already? Or were
you just talking about your son?

Sincerely,
Laryssa