From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:41:24 -0500
>From:  suzi lambert [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>
>I was wondering, when ferrets get their shots (distemper and rabies
>vaccine) does your vet use the shoulder/neck area or the back leg area?

Somehow I missed this when it first came through.  Reading too fast, I
guess.

The site used really depends on what is being administered, and somewhat
on the preference of the vet.  Most vaccines can be given subcutaneously,
and for that, the area over the shoulders offers the most loose skin and
the easiest entry.  One of my vets even told me that administering
vaccines in the thigh area carries a much higher risk of causing
granulomas (chronically inflamed masses).  If you're giving several
vaccines at once (not really recommended anyway), you'll want to inject
into different sites, so using different sides of the shoulders works
well for this.  We have only ever had vaccines injected over the
shoulders - and have given fluids in the same spot.

On the other hand, some meds like Lupron have to be injected
intramuscularly (into a muscle) to be effective.  For that, the thigh
offers the largest single muscle mass in the body, which on a tiny
ferret, easily makes it the most preferred target.

Still other meds - generally critical care or for surgical use - have
yet other requirements and may have to be injected intravenously or
intraperitoneally (into the abdominal cavity - think rabies shots for
humans).

roger
missing bear, lancelot and kodi