From:
Kim Rushing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:22:37 -0500
I am confused.

On many points regarding this whole sanctuary/shelter/owner thing.

This person in Illinois, Cathy, she runs a sanctuary that is basically
nothing more than a home, right?  A home with 56 ferrets, and probably
after that article runs, a lot more will be on the way.  She does not
adopt out, but takes in any ferret that needs help, correct?  Yikes, that
sure sounds like it could become a problem in no time at all, just in the
sheer number of ferrets in-coming.  When is there no room at the inn?

Why does that require a 501(c)3 determination?  What service does she
provide the community as a not for profit business?  I can see shelters
getting this, as they provide a service of taking in unwanted ferrets,
rehabbing them when necessary, and then adopting them out, and also
usually participate in some community education.

I have always thought sanctuary was for animals (wild animals usually)
that were injured to the point where they needed a safe haven to live out
their lives as they couldn't be released back into their natural habitat.
What makes ferrets in need of sanctuary?  I have several ferrets that
came from abusive homes, and when I sheltered I rehomed many ferrets from
horrid conditions into great new homes.  I guess I just don't see the
difference between this "sanctuary" and a forever home.

I also don't understand why a pet owner wants or needs an IRS
determination in order to be tax-exempt.  If you cannot afford to keep
your pets (which these ferrets obviously are), then maybe you shouldn't
have them.  Donations are best left to shelters, IMHO.

This upsets me as legitimate shelters who need and deserve our support
are the ones who should be getting the "perks" from the IRS and the
press, not individuals.  I bet the GCFA could use some publicity for
their shelter to help get some of their many ferrets into homes, some
volunteers to help care for them, and donations to keep the shelter
afloat.

I'll admit, I am very, very confused as to why this situation was
newsworthy.

Kim Rushing