Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:47:51 +0800
hi all

im not arguing, i just have a question!

does anybody know: if you do have to change more than 1 pixel or 10%
of total pixels , how much of the image do you actually have to change
before it is counted as a new image by law?

i have always wanted to know, just out of curiosity

thanks :)
shona

[Moderator's note: Shona, it's not that simple.  As I understand it,
there's no "magic formula" here -- determining if a work is a copy of
another must take into account a huge number of factors, not just a pixel
count.   Is the idea similar?  The execution?  Is there a motive?  Is it
unique?  Do circumstances indicate it was independantly produced, etc.
But a good place to start is: Did you steal the idea?

And it gets more and more complicated -- is a photograph of a copyrighted
work a new work of art?  What if you put a ferret in the photograph?  Is
it THEN a new work of art?  I could go on, but you get the idea.

Note I am not a lawyer but I'm answering this here to not have to process
a bunch of semi-off-topic posts tomorrow.  Unless my answer is very wrong
(in which case, correct me), I hope people will continue the discussion
OFF list.   Thanks!  BIG]