From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:51:54 +0000
Teaxs does indeed have a quarantine period for ferrets in bite cases.  It
was put into effect last year.

However, the trouble starts in places such as Dallas, Ft.  Worth and Denton,
where ferrets are illegal.  But all the shelters do not seem to have the
state health laws with the new quarantine in them.  And these towns do
enforce the law.

Patricia Curtis has started working with Animal Control officers in the area
to educate them about the new laws, and about ferrets in general.  I know
she is also willing to pick up animals that have been confiscated for being
illegal aliens.

If anyone is worried about the local levels of government, I would suggest
you call the Texas State Health Department and ask for copies of the law
concerning dogs, cats and ferrets in the event of a reported bite.  It
spells out very specifically what steps are to be taken, how the animals are
to be quarantined including avaible water bottles and such.

This is important to know since Texas has so recently changed from a
kill/test state to a quarantine state for ferrets.