From:
"Alice D. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:23:45 -0800
Tonight Fannie and Farrah, the ferrets, and I were warmly welcomed to our
local Audobon Society meeting for a brief presentation to help California
ferret owners by sharing a few important facts about ferrets and
communicating love for ferrets.  As we greeted people at the door, we
provided a homemade flyer, gratefully accepted compliments about how cute
ferrets are, and responded to other comments.  They displayed some positive
familiarity with ferrets a genuine love for all animals.

I stressed the unlikelihood of ferrets becoming feral and thought I detected
understanding and acceptance in facial expressions as I talked.  One of the
group's questions was: Are ferrets weasels?  and the other question was: Are
there wild ferrets?  Fortunately, I knew the answers thanks to information
from FML members.  Of course, I never would have been there in the first
place, with pains in my stomach, if it were not for the FML!  My husband,
Ron, carried the travel cage for me and Farrah and Fannie moved around from
hammock to towel just as cutely as possible to help with the whole thing.

On the way home Ron and I wondered how much politics plays in California's
situation because it doesn't seem like any great revelation that ferrets are
very unlikely to become feral and kill off birds.  Is the Audobon Society
looking for wildlife habitat land in California in exchange for a negative
position on ferrets?  Who would know, we wondered.  Wise old Ron had an idea
and I might pursue it but for now I'm glad my "speaking engagement" was
successful and I hope it did some good for ferret owners in California.

Alice