Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:11:43 -0700
I THINK I have replied to everyone who sent an email asking for a
stop, talk, short visit, or other such function on the trip. IF I did
not contact you this weekend, PLEASE email me and I'll correct my
stupidity.

I am just about done getting ready. The last few weeks have been
extremely stressful; I've had to change plans nearly a dozen times!
But I think the end result will be worth the hard work.

The DNA study is going to be spectacular. I will be getting ferret,
polecat-polecat hybrid, polecat-ferret hybrid, and feral ferret DNA,
literally from all over the world! I was originally thinking I would
get maybe 300-500 samples, but I know think I could get more than 1000.
The response from everyone is unbelievable.

The dental and skeletal study will likewise be tremendous. The numbers
will sample the European ferrets to redundancy. With the questionnair,
I should be able to generate outstanding data tying husbandry to health
issues. Very, very promising!

The necropsy data will provide an understanding of what the organ
sizes and weights of ferrets living in a wild state would be. IF those
compare to data from polecats, it will be a powerful tool to understand
how pet ferrets are different.

My study of bone density changes due to caging shows promise. Much of
that work will have to wait until after I get home, cut bone sections,
and look at the stuff under the microscope and SEM.

My aging studies are very exciting. I have to wait to return to cut
the teeth, x-ray the bones, and to tie everything together, but once
done, we could have a great way to age our ferrets with an x-ray.

Likewise, my study of the effects of early neutering on the skeleton
will have to wait a bit, but preliminary results show a strong
correction of early neutering to profound changes in bone, many which
would be painful and debilitating.

And that is just the start. Feral ferret issues, diet study, and
histopathology studies of organ tissues are all going to be very
important.

Sorry, I'm just getting excited.

The country list has changed slightly; the countries are (in visit
order): New Zealand (North and South Islands, all areas), Australia
(Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth) and Tasmania (Hobart),
Singapore, England (London, Wales, other areas), Scotland (Edinburgh
and other areas), France (Paris, Angers), Spain (Madrid), the
Netherlands (Amsterdam, and other areas), Denmark (Copenhagen and other
areas), Sweden (Stockholm and other areas), Poland (Warsaw and other
areas), Hungary (Budapest), Austria (Vienna), Germany (Bonn, Berlin),
Switzerland (Bern), and Italy (Naples, Rome, and other areas).

I was suddenly deluged with emails asking if I would accept a donation
towards this research. I had been strongly suggesting donations be made
to a shelter, but one person became very upset and essentially called
me on the carpet, pinned back my ears, and thrashed me with their
steel-studded tongue. After stopping the bleeding the best I could,
I agreed to allow donations from people that 1) could honestly afford
to make a donation, who did not have ferrets needing medical care, and
who understood that I am not non-profit and would not keep specific
track of the funds,but would place them in a general use fund. If you
agree (it is an honor system), then contact me and I'll send you to my
paypal account (being out of the country makes it hard to check the
mail). MAKE NOTE that I am NOT soliciting funds, but RESPONDING to
inquires. You can make a donation or not. Donations will help
considerably, and help extend the research, BUT, they are not required
and you never need to apologize to me for not sending anything. As the
Big Daddy Rat used to say, "'Nuff said!"

A special note to my European, Australian, and New Zealand friends. I
am doing a LOT of work, toting a trainload of equipment, constant
worrying about the budget while the dollar is devalued almost daily,
making connections, just trying to find a clean bathroom, and trying
to find a way to pronounce Maori and Swedish names of towns. That is
extremely stressful. However, meeting people, playing with their
ferrets, and learning new stuff is enrichment to me, and will reduce my
stress as long as I get my 5 hours of ugly sleep. PLEASE don't hesitate
to ask for a visit or to volunteer your ferrets for the DNA research! I
may look tired (it is normal), but unless I actually fall asleep while
talking (which I did in Hungary and Holland), each visit is enrichment
and helps me to decompress. You will be helping me fight the stress. If
I start falling asleep in the middle of a sentence, just suggest I talk
a power nap on the floor.

Well, I am off to TRY and get that darn microscope into it's shipping
box. I tried earlier, but Clyde wanted to dig out the styrofoam. Now
it looks like a winter wonderland in my living room.

Bob C