From:
Marilyn Ledoux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:12:22 -0400
Hi Y 'all,

I have been following the raw vs kibble debate, and I need help.  My
ferrets are all senior gals, and as such, they are "set in their ways."
They all came from Ferretwise, the shelter I work under, and Alicia is a
wonderful ferret mom.  I try to be a good hospice mom, and I read with
interest all of the raw feeding debates.  I run a tight ship here, one
that would make the best hotel blush.

I have some problems with feeding raw food.  My ferrets like their food
very warm, smooth, and no lumps.  I accidentally had a piece of cartilage
in Ferret Charity's soup, she ate everything BUT that one lump.  Charity
prefers white meat, BUT will eat dark meat.  For her, I need an all white
meat mouse.

Speaking of mice, I live in an old farm house with the shed and barn
attached.  SO the mice in the barn where the grain is, can run into the
house without getting their feet wet.  One did make it in.  He came out
from behind the stove, and the ferrets thought he was a hoot - no one
chased him, no one cared, if we don't do cartilage, we will not do hair
and toe nails.  Ferret Holly likes to wipe her whiskers on my shirt, so
after the first bite, we would need a bib and napkin.  Ferret Ivy cleans
all around the dish before eating what is in the dish.  The mouse would
have to wipe his feet.  Ferret Reilly Marie would not take to the mouse
squirming around, no jumping out of the dish.  Oh yes, we need a dish,
we are civilized here.

The cat was horrified, Kitty catch a mouse, and take a chance on soiling
his paws?????  The three dogs, looked, barked, wagged their tails,
sniffed, this was Nature in the raw, they like Nature's Choice.  Bird
was upset with the constant squeaking, not in his dialect.  SO I took
the broom and chased it out the door into the shed.  I guess it found
it's way home from there.

If I try raw feeding, I need a mouse that is hairless, will lay quietly
in a dish and not flop over the sides, and is very warm to the touch.
No useless chatter, stays warm till the end, (I put their dishes on my
coffee cup warmer to keep them warm.) This works well, as all my ferret
dishes are glass because Charity WILL NOT EAT OUT OF PLASTIC.  I even
have a blender with a glass jar, and I cook in stainless steel.  If you
could find me a mouse on an organic diet who took all of his vitamins,
so much the better.

Till then, we will continue to feed the ferrets Alicia's shelter soup,
with fresh chicken cooked and blended in with it.  The ferrets will
continue to throw their kibble, in the cage as a backup, out to the dogs.
The dogs will continue to eat it, and as yet they still look like dogs.
I'll be cooking and picking my chicken, tending to my chores, and
scooping litter pans.

Love ya all,
Marilyn