From:
George Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:41:19 -0000
Reading through the various FML posts, I was interested to see how many
people give their ferrets treats like cheerios, raisins, dried fruit etc.
I dare say that the occasional treat of this sort would not do any harm;
indeed, I give my own ferrets the occasional raisin.  However, it would
appear that some folks give their ferrets platefuls of these kind of
treats on a daily basis.

I am sure these owners think they are being kind, but going by what
I've read on the FHL archives (thanks to Sukie for pointing me in that
direction) I get the impression that these treats may be doing more
harm than good.

One article which I thought was very interesting was posted by Bob Church
(message number YG6139 ) which appeared on Mon Aug 6, 2001; Subject - Bob
C: "Ferrets" quiz Question.

I know Bob is held in high regard by many, including myself, but it seems
that just as many people either have not read any of his work or choose,
for whatever reason, to disregard his advice.

I have no wish to start up yet another debate but I would be interested
to hear from these people who choose to feed what would appear to be
sweet and unhealthy treats.

George