From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:01:59 EDT
Talking to the Subject: Bob C: How many Ferrets?

Let me give you an example of "there is a thing as too many ferrets".

I started sheltering in 1988 when people found out I owned ferrets and kept
giving them to me because they were no longer wanted.  I had 8 ferrets at
the time, all but one were surrenders.  In the early 90's I was up to 42
PERSONAL ferrets with a range of 20-40 shelter ferrets at any given time.
I managed one of the first outbreaks of ECE with this number, and none of
the helpful documentation that exists today.  Even with help twice a week
from volunteers, I was overwhelmed.  So I decided to adopt out half my
personal collection for the betterment of my time with the ferrets in my
care, personal and rescues.

In 1996 I had to leave an abusive relationship, but I could not abandon the
ferrets.  I switched my working schedule to the night shift so I could go
into my former home during the day and care for the ferrets until I could
relocate or adopt out over 40 ferrets.  I did that in 1 month.  At that
time I counted 24 ferrets as personal.  In three months I had a new
permanent home and recollected 14 of the ferrets as personal with a new
rule -
  It is not the number of ferrets, it is the number of cages that matter.

I presently have 12 ferrets (some of the oldsters have passed away and
I've taken in 2 strays).  I have 4 cages - one cage is a Midwest with a
foursome, the other is a four story 4 foot long cage presently divided to
house four groups.  Then two other freestanding cages of odd dimensions.
I only "keep" a ferret if it fits into one of the existing groups, and I'm
not looking for any more ferrets, but as Bob knows, they keep finding me.

My rule - If they can't get along in the cages already here, then they are
better off with another home.  My goal is to get down to the two large
cages and maybe three play groups.  Save the odd cages for strays and the
ill or ageing.

So it is not a number, but a housing, time and financial committment.  If
you can give your ferrets free run time every day, pay for any operations
that may spring up, and not turn your house into cage city, then take in
as many ferrets as you want.  I hire a pet sitter for long trips (at $20 a
day), and have friends visit when I go for a long weekend.  I have two cats
that need attention too.

So there is my offering.

Pam