From:
"Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:40:31 -0600
    Gail, my wonderful mom-in-law, is a docent at the Rio Grande Zoo here in
Albuquerque, NM.  As a docent she is permitted to take certain education
animals out on leashes within the zoo grounds.  There are three ferrets:
Slinky, Fearless, and Hunter.  Slinky, an estimated 3 or 4 year old male, is
low on tail fur.  From the tip of his tail to about the middle it is sparse
and skinny looking.  If it were at the base of his tail, where it attached
to his posterior, I would think adrenal disease, but it is from the middle
to the tip!  Another docent mentioned noticing him chewing on it.  Slinky
and Fearless were caged together for some time, then Fearless began to lose
weight and generally be in ill health over the summer.  At that time they
were seperated and are still in seperate cages even though Fearless is
better now.  Hunter is much younger at 7 months and is aggressive toward the
other two, and has been caged alone since he has been at the zoo.

    If any of the good doctors have any insight it would be appreciated.  I
suspect Slinky misses his buddy Fearless and is bored.  It makes me sad to
see his tail in such a state.

    Shannon: Our Kitka took a long time to stop biting, nearly 3 mo.  We
were patient and firm.  She is about 95% trustworthy now around Matt and
myself, but goes after others.  Sometimes she will walk around with her
mouth hanging open slightly when we have company.  The things that did the
trick for us were cage time when she bit, snapping our fingers loudly and
saying NO when she got rough, and offering a knuckle and pushing it into her
mouth farther than was comfortable for her when she nipped.  Also, lots of
attention and being picked up and held a lot.  We never let her down when
she has nipped or even mouthed us so she doesn't get the idea that that is
an acceptable way to ask to get down.  I'm sure Murray will get the hint
eventually.  Good luck.

Paula & Matt
Kitka (Terrorist/Defender of Home & Hearth)
Charlotte (Fig Newton Lover)