From:
Mirthful Mayhem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:25:15 +0100
Hi

Another Angel update.  She seems to have more energy now and has been on her
heart medicine for 14 days.  She even ate ferret food today, until now she's
only eaten Whiskas Complete cat food.  But today I put her with the others
and she went to the food dish and ate the ferret food so I was really happy
and left her with the others for the day but at night she still sleeps with
me in my bedroom.

But about her ascites.  She weighed approx.  975 g 2 weeks ago.  Then for a
few days her weight went down to approx.  925 g and I thought the fluid was
slowly going but then I just weighed her again and she's back up to 975 g.
I think she would weigh about 700 g without the ascites and gets Furosemide
tablets for her ascites, the tablets are 20 mg and she gets an 1/8 th
morning and night so she gets 5 mg Furosemide a day.  And after 2 weeks of
that the fluid hasn't gone at all.  Should we put her on a higher dose?  Or
do injections work better?  My friend's ferret has just been diagnosed with
heart disease and he got Lasix injections at the beginning and that shifted
his ascites and then he was put on Furosemide tablets.  Is Lasix better?  I
thought it was exactly the same as Furosemide.  Should Angel get Lasix
injections for a while or does it simply take time for the fluid to go?

Please help...

Best wishes from
Ulrike and the 10 kids

--