From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:04:27 -0700
>There is one sure way to stem the tide and that is to close down Marshall
>Farms. Not only do they overproduce, but I will take full responsibility
>for my conviction that they are unbelievably cruel in their production
>and shipping methods and that in the breeding process, produce inherently
>defective animals that have less than a 50-50 chance of living beyond the
>age of 5 years.

AMEN!  AND any other ferret farms/mills that are similar.  I gave Marshall
Farms the benefit of the doubt, but not after my most recent dealings with
a Manager there.  I called them after Spanky passed from juvenile lymphoma
and after so many on here responded with similar stories about Marshall
Farms ferrets.  I did not call them to ask for a refund or a replacement,
I called to make them aware of how many ferrets they produce are dying so
young.  I also inquired into how they keep track of their breeding (who is
bred with who, etc...) Supposedly, they have a "very elaborate" computer
system to track this and that is why each ferret leaves their facility with
an assigned number.  Since this is what she told me, I asked her to please
look on the computer and tell me how many other ferrets were in Spanky's
litter and what colors the parents were.  Guess what?  She couldn't (and
wouldn't).  Her excuse was that she does not have that access (a Manager?)
So then I asked for someone who is involved (hands on) in the breeding
facility.  She told me she couldn't give out that information.  I then told
her that the reason I was calling was to benefit them, not me.  Also, she
asked me if I had been feeding the ferret, MF food.  I told her that I was
feeding Totally Ferret, Innova and Ferret Store Superior Choice.  She told
me that his diet was "inadequate and that Totally Ferret is not as good as
their food".  Basically, she was trying to tell me that I caused his death
due to his diet.  I then told her that my vet recommends several premium
foods and Marshall Farms is NOT one of them.  We talked at great length
about ferrets, my knowledge of them, her lack of knowledge and so forth.
She then asked me what they could do for me.  I told her that I would
appreciate it if they could donate money or supplies (not food) to a ferret
shelter of my choice in Spanky's name.  She said, "happy to, which one?"
I gave her the name and address of Kista.  She then said that she would
"personally see to it, immediately." A month passed and I emailed Kim to
verify it was recd.  NOPE!  I then called this woman back to see what
happened.  She never returned my calls.  I was kind and considerate in all
the conversations but did not appreciate her telling me that Spanky's diet
must have contributed to his death.  Then, to add insult to injury, they
asked Ferrets Magazine if they could use my article in their newsletter.
I told Ferrets Magazine "no way on this earth" unless they were willing to
send me a huge check to donate to a shelter that ends up with most of their
stock.  Of course, nothing came of it.  Do I despise Marshall Farms?  YES!
I did not care for what I had witnessed prior (shipping methods, etc...)
but this iced it for me.

>From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ADV on West Coast
>
>I need to respond to Judy's statement in yesterdays FML about no ADV on
>theWest Coast. This is not true.  There is at least one known death from
>ADVin the Pacific Northwest.  The deceased ferret attended shows and
>frolics.Please test regardless of where you live.[DA]

ADV in the Pacific NW?  Where?  Who has a ferret with ADV?  If this is
true, why aren't they coming forward to warn others?  Without facts, it is
hard to believe if this is a rumor or just someone creating some hysteria.
Now anyone in the Pacific NW who has ferrets and has taken them to shows or
events, will probably be very concerned and upset.  If you cannot post who
has an ADV positive ferret(s) here, can you at least tell us what shows and
events they have attended?  I have not been to any, but I think there are
some on this list that might have concerns.  I understand the need to post
anonymously on this (especially with the previous backlash), but more
specifics would be helpful to all.

Thanks!

P.S. To those of you who believe in Marshall Farms or have had better
experiences than I, great.  My opinions of them are based on my own
personal experiences (not rumors), so please be kind and consider what
I have gone through with them and the way they treated me in my time of
grief.