From:
Laurie Overton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:50:21 -0500
Regarding Hanna's comment that "ferrets are not pets for everyone", I
agree with him.  Think about it----we all know ferrets due to their health
related problems they are are plagued with are very expensive & high
maintenance pets.  We have all spent mega dollars on vet bills.  Sadly,
alot of people would not do this.  Many people get a ferret assuming they
are like a rodent that can be kept caged indefinitely.  We know they
cannot be & need lots of excercise every day.  Doing ferret care duties in
a large animal shelter I see ferrets come in where people "cannot afford
the vet bills" or "no time to exercise", etc.  Ferrets are definitely not
for everyone, I think Hanna made a very valid point not a negative one,
as someone here claimed earlier.  Too many people get animals on a whim
without doing their homework first & the poor animal only suffers in the
end either by not being cared for properly or being abandoned.  No matter
what animal you decide to get, please do your research to see if the
particular pet you choose will be suitable to your lifestyle!