From:
Sherri Munroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 12:09:04 -0400
 Hi all !

Ok here is my problem.  I recentaly purchased a male sable in New Hampshire
(Bandit).He is almost due for his 12 week shot.  I live in Rhode Island and
I am worried about what I came up with in my search for a qualified vet.

First I called a vet's office located in Mass,as they were closer to me.They
made me aware of the fact that if a ferret breaks the skin at all,with a
bite or scratch in Massachutes the ferret must be immediatly euthanized.The
vet herself told me that "that is something you should think about before
you bring him in".

I found a second exoctic vet in Rhode Island and they said the same thing
except that probibly not for a scratch but for a bite yes.

The compromise that we came up with is that I asked her to wear gloves when
handling Bandit,and she agreed to.

This troubles me.  I thought to myself << but he's only a baby and still
nips>> Is that a fair law in your opinion?

And with all the pets that I have owned I NEVER had a vet tell me in not so
many words,to not bring my animal in because he/she may be killed.

I don't feel comfortable with not bringing Bandit in for his shots
<<especially because it's illegal>> but also because it can't be a very good
idea to miss the shots period right?

And out of curiosity I am wondering,has anyone ever heard of an epidemic of
rabbid ferrets?

What have you done in this situation?

Thank you...And thanks to Bill Gruber for a great ferret "magazine".

Sherri,     [log in to unmask]