From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:46:51 -0400
To Pam Sessoms:
This is somewhat strange - I have heard of so many ferret spinal injuries of
late - I am currently tracking three other cases.....none have discernable
radiographic injuries, or any clue as to why they have occurred.  It worries
me that this rescued ferret has a healed fractured leg, though.  One
traumatic injury certainly makes you think of another.

As I have never posted one of these peculiar cases, I think we are all a bit
in the dark as to the cause.  Most of the current theories - disk rupture,
cartilaginous embolism, or spinal tumor (which I have seen occasionally) are
simply extrapolations from what we see in dogs and cats.  Even some forms of
protozoal parasites called Neospora can cause this finding in dogs.  I have
very little idea as to what is causing sudden paraplegia in 4 young ferrets
across the country...always back legs.... if one is put down, we need to do
a post to see if we can find anything... (not that I would want to sacrifice
any of these animals needlessly - we just need to get some information on
this particular presentation.)

>Now my questions: Does anyone have any advice or similar cases to relate to
>me?  Will all this prednisone have nasty consequences?

Ferrets are pretty steroid-resistant, but you should watch for tarry stools-
rarely ferrets may get ulcers on high doses of steroids.  Yes, it is a high
dose, but probably won't have many systemic effects.  Remind your vet that
he should taper down off of this high dose rather than drop it too suddenly.
You may also see increased urine output, which will mean soaked towels and
fur for your ferret, and will necessitate frequent bathing and changing of
the cage.

>Does this seem like a reasonable course of treatment?

Very reasonable.  Until we know more about what is going on,
anti-inflammatories are the highest percentage treatment for spinal cord
damage.  There is very little we can do for the spinal cord except try to
control any ongoing inflammation and less collateral ongoing damage.

>Is there any time frame after which we should consider that he's as good
>as he's going to be and let him play wildly like a ferret again?

In my experience, no - there's not a good time frame.  I would say 2-3
months, but it all depends on the damage to the cord...more severe damage
takes longer to repair, and severe damage often simply scars in, and no
repair can be effected.  But it's important to let him get exercise at this
point, as long as there is no instability to the spinal column which can
cause further damage.  If your don't exercise muscles, they will shrink, and
even if they regain their innervation, they may never be able to be used
fully.  Encourage him to excercise, and make sure that you put his leg
joints through their full normal range of motion, in hopes of that day when
he regains their use.

And never underestimate the healing power of a ferret!

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology