Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:51:53 -0500
For those of you who have emailed me regarding Spooky's brown urine,
he had this problem for more than a year. Last year he had all the
appropriate tests last year and nothing was abnormal except for some
blood in his urine. He was also treated with antibiotics but there was
no change after that. About a month ago, his urine changed to a normal
color and has remained so! I hope that it will continue this way. My
vet is baffled about the whole thing.

I don't want to start this dispute again but just describe my
experience. A few months ago I switched to all grain-free food that did
contain peas to see if GF would help Xena's digestive problems. I don't
think the food made Spooky's urinary problem better, but it certainly
didn't seem to harm him (and it did help Xena's problem to an extent).
I still wouldn't advise getting food such as Zupreem that has peas &
sweet potatoes as the 2nd & 3rd ingredients, since ferrets' food should
be meat based. Of the 2 foods I use that have peas, one lists it as
the 6th ingredient (Wellness Core Cat Food) and the other the 17th
ingredient after all meat products (Orijin Cat & Kitten food). I also
use Wysong Epigen 90. I may drop the Wellness Core because they don't
like it as much as the Orijin. To close, I will say that people should
use whatever foods seem to work best for their ferrets, just as is the
case in people. I think we all know that whole prey would be the best
but we most of us can't manage this.

Best of health to all ferret lovers and their furkids.

Shron
Spooky & Xena
Missing Rocky, Minky & Klondike