Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 03:14:58 -0800
Krista,

ALL wood *pellets* are safe for use with small mammals, including
ferrets.  Wood chips and sawdust are soaked in a superheated water
solution and then extruded under very high pressure to form the pellets.
It is this high heat and soaking that removes the harmful esters in the
wood and make this wood product safe for use.

As to where you can find wood pellets (Used in heating stoves designated
as pellet stoves)....Home Depot, Lowes, most hardware stores, Wal-Mart,
K-Mart, even large grocery chains in cold areas, are stores to look for
wood pellets, for pellet stoves.  They come in 40 pound bags and run
between $3.00 and $4.50 a bag, which is very reasonable.  If you use a
lot, most major chains will sell you a pallet (50 bags..2000 pounds) for
a much reduced cost.  I have 5 ferrets and a ton will last me a year and
I paid last year, $1.95 a bag.

MC, The Rude One
With Bancho, Artemus, Squeeks, Rudy, and Abraham.  In spirit, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.