From:
Michael Orlowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:12:40 -0500
As a responsible ferret owner/shelter I get really annoyed with both
privately owned and pet store chains who carry 5-6 week old babies.  I know
for a fact that most of the stores in our area are supplied by Marshalls
Farm and Path Valley.  After trying to educate the staff and manager of
the stores about the fact that these little guys are too young , I am told
various things like ;people want them this young; to the breeders insist on
selling them to us at this age, to "Hey lady this is my bread and butter
don't tell me what to do with my store".  Most of the employees are willing
to listen and learn, and call for advice when needed, but willingly admit
they have to sell them because the chain insists they carry ferrets.  When
I talk to the managers I tell them to explain to the breeders that they
would prefer the ferrets to be at least 12 weeks old.

I also have a good friend who works for US Air and sees crates of Marshalls
Farms babies being shipped all over every week.  As a shelter we take in a
lot of these "once adorable" 5 week old cuties, who now have minor to major
health problems and are no longer wanted.  Please don't get me wrong I know
many of you have farm raised ferrets who are healthy and wonderful, but
from a shelters perspective the majority of our rescues are the tattoed
little guys.

On the other side of the argument we hear people say that they are rescuing
these little guys from the pet stores, " Hey ferret lovers wake up" as soon
as the aquarium or cage is empty they'll be more shipped in, and the sad
story continues.The point that I'm trying to make here is that as much as
our ferret loving bleeding hearts want so desperately to save each pet
store baby we just can't do it guys!!!  So the next best solution is to
stop buying babies from pet stores, and educate others who wish to purchase
ferrets- Supply and Demand.  If people stop buying they stop carrying or at
least carry less.

Denise
Furry O's Ferrets