Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:59:37 -0700
(Sorry BIG, this is a bit long)
[Not at all. :-)]

Hello all,

Blessings to those who have lost or have ill fuzzies, I'm thinking of
you, though I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

I'm not a confrontational person, believe me, I've done things I'm
ashamed of just to AVOID confrontation, but I will be more ashamed if I
sit back and do nothing about the proposed ban in Chicago.  I KNOW there
are people in the area that get this list, yet I have only heard back
from one person about this.  I've started collecting info to send to the
media, but I don't want to be an individual amongst many that does this,
are there others doing this?  We need to present a unified front.

I will be attending the city council meeting next Tuesday, though I
do not live in the city.  Who else is going?  Will there be signs and
handouts?  Is there anyone going to speak on behalf of the ferret
community in Chicago?  Has anyone started a petition?  I'm looking into
starting an online one, but I'm afraid it will take too long to get alot
of sigs by Tues.  and if there is already one circulating I want to know.
There isn't much time, are we all too busy?

I've heard rumors there are those that live in the suburbs that think
this is not an important issue for them, I live in the suburbs, with no
plans to move to the city, this is not about where you live, this is
about the continued slander of our beloved pets, our babies!  Do you
think it will end at the city limits?  There are already too many FFZs
in this country.  Places where ferret lovers are criminals and their pets
taken from their loving homes to languish in a shelter or be destroyed!
CJ gives regular reports on how many she rescues from CA (you're an
angel, CJ), do you think that is all the ferrets that are confiscated?
Can our shelter handle the task of more rescues?  Where will we put them?
(I will NOT put ferrets in my pants!)  What about the ferrets willingly
surrendered because people will think that's the best option and they're
afraid of confiscation and fines?  What about those that are dumped to
fend for themselves because someone believes they ARE wild animals?

This is NOT just an issue for the city of Chicago!  I'm ashamed to say
I haven't given much thought to CA or NYC, I don't really want to visit
there, so why should it concern me that ferrets are not allowed?  Now
I wish I had gotten involved sooner.  I'm sorry to admit I did think
someone else would handle this, but now I'm afraid that what I might
start might be too little too late.

A friend told me, "Don't worry, it will never pass."  But it already has,
in NYC and CA, and alot of people fought it.  It can happen here too!

Are we going to let a bunch of ignorant politicians tell the world that
our babies, our snugglebugs, and yes, even the nippy ones (who we love
anyway) are DANGEROUS, WILD ANIMALS?

=====
Lisa
Fuzzies Frank, Pikachu, Godiva and Timmy and the Beige Kitty

"We are led, when we share our loves, to an enchanted life of inner
happiness, which unsharing others cannot know."
Antonius Ferret, Fables
Richard Bach, Ferret Cronicles