From:
Melissa Furash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:50:33 EST
To the person who asked about Lipoma, this is a fatty tumor that is usually
benign.  Many dogs get these (my dog has one) and if they are not fast
growing my vet usually recommends leaving them until a scheduled surgery
like a dental cleaning.

Drawing blood:
I understand that it can hurt to clip a nail for a blood draw but the
alternatives can be significantly more painful and/or dangerous.  ANYTIME
and animal (or person) goes under anesthesia there is a chance (generally
small but still there) that they may not wake up.  On occasion, when
trimming nails, my hubby has missed by a little and quicked the nail (drawn
blood).  Usually there is a dook or two (Never have they screamed) and then
they go back to licking the ferretone off their stomachs while we grab the
Quik-Stop.  None of them are afraid of the trimmers.  On the other hand I
work in a vet's office and often draw blood.  Big, healthy dogs are easy,
smaller animals have smaller veins and sick animals often are dehydrated
and have collapsing veins.  These are VERY DIFFICULT to hit.  We actually
had one VERY sick ferret (practically dying) that we spent an hour easily
trying to get blood (don't ask what they do when all the veins are
collapsed) but we got the blood and saved the ferret (we needed 3 cc's).
This ferret was so weak that I didn't have to restrain it at all while the
vet drew the blood.  This is just my opinion.

Melissa
(Meeko, Percy, Snoopy and Bear)