From:
Brigitte Grov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:13:03 +0100
Hi,

I subscribed to the FML to learn more about ferrets before I got my own
some time.  I have to some extent learned a fair bit about caring for them
in different situations and about possible illnesses and treatments.

However, I think many of the letters portray an unnatural relationship
between owner and animal and an even stranger attitude towards death.  Is
death always bad?  And for who is it bad?

The letter that made me actually respond was yesterdays posting about the
special needs ferret needing a home and how the owner did not want to make
the decision to euthanise her.  It does not seem to me that a ferret that
can't walk, can't eat, drink or pass feces without help has quality of
life, it would be a great act of love to put her to sleep.

But, you might say, this ferret is not in any pain.  I agree, the ferret
might not be in any physical pain.  Imagine seeing a human relative in this
situation, you would say he was being held alive to die, with no quality of
life.  For a human the matter of self-respect also comes in, but imagine it
still.  The ferret is used to bouncing about and exploring, now none of its
natural behaviours are available to him.  I find it rather selfish how
people keep their pets alive in severely handicapped conditions, when they
would be better off being put to sleep.

If the owner can't make that decision, she is not seeing the reality of
things, and keeping the ferret alive is entirely a selfish decision.

Just think. What is the kind thing to do?

Brigitte