From:
Christopher S Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:16:50 -0800
Hi, something in Anne Ryan`s post from the AFA&LIFE bothers me slightly,
the phrase ( high incidence of false positives }.  It`s a term bandied
about in the north of the UK mostly by people who do not ( will not ) test
their ferrets.  The people at the UK testing lab said the test was very
accurate.  A positive test is nearly 99.98% accurate.  If it is taken to
mean that a ferret which has tested positive for the antibodies but has or
did not show any clinical symptoms for a long time ( 6 to 12 months ) is a
false positive be very wary.  I know of one hob purchased as a kit who in
his second year of life infected his 2 play mates, this ferret is now
nearly 4 and is very fit and healthy.  The 2 infected ferrets were both
dead within 6 months.  Would someone please define ( false positive )
for me.

Chris.