From:
Holly Park Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 10:53:05 -0700
Emmett had pinpoint-size bite clusters on his ear-rims, behind his ears,
some on his tail and one on the back of his neck.

I thought "Mites!" and put a drop of miticide in each ear, let it sit
and then swabbed 'em. I alternated that with a dab of mineral oil and
swabbing on alternate days. And then I took him to the vet.

The vet says he doesn't have mites, or fleas. The vet said to continue
miticide weekly for a month. That seems ok to me.

The vet also said to "consider using flea foam or feline flea collar"
and gave a small-dosage prescription for Temaril P which is a combo
of antihistamine and small amount of cortisone, to help with itching.

My instinct does not want to put a flea collar on Em and also doesn't
want to use the Temaril P. I do want to consider keeping on with miticide
and ear cleaning, plus weekly baths. But not being a doctor I would like
to check this out to see if I'm just being balky.

Also having an overactive imagination I worry a lot--a) if he has mites
will they get to his brain and give him convulsions and he'll Die A
Horrible Death b) if I use miticide will he get systemic poisoning from
it and Die A Horrible Death? and c) if he takes the Temaril will his
glands go weird and swell him up and he'll D. A. H. D. . .?

And is there any safe lotion to put on him to soothe his skin? Thanks!

Kate Pappas and Emmett Kelly   [log in to unmask]