From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:39:51 -0700
Hi!  Members of the Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas were fortunate enough to
test the ZuPreem Ferret Diet.  The formulation we tested was 38%-40%
protien, 20%-22% fat, and 1.4%-2% fiber.  The first ingredient was
poultry/chicken meal.  They were experimenting with beef & liver meal,
wheat flour, and brewer's rice, so I don't know what the final formulation
was, but it was a high meat protien, high fat, low fiber diet that seemed
ideally suited to ferrets.  It was also highly palatable, but had to be
mixed with current ferret food before it was accepted.  Some negative
comments from testers: the pellet was "ball" shaped and sometimes got
temporarily lodged in the roof of the ferret's mouth.  However, the ball
shape produced less waste because the ferrets did not bite the "ends" off
the star or triangle and leave them.  Another complaint was that the high
fat content left the product somewhat greasy.  It was also preserved with
a tiny amount of ethoxyquin, which is common in many pet foods to keep the
fat from getting rancid.  (TF does not use this, but Iams does).  Overall,
I was very happy with the nutrition of ZuPreem.  I am glad the food is
available and will use it (as soon as it is available to me) to mix in
with Totally Ferret, especially for kits, teens, and underweight ferrets.

- Erika and the Dirty Dozen in Florida