From:
"Jennifer D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 02:27:56 -0500
>Thanks for writing.  First, let me assure you we will not compromise the
>quality of Iams or Eukanuba -- ever.  When we announced our plans to
>expand the availability of Iams dog and cat foods this spring, we
>emphasized this point, including in our news release (on pg.com).

EVERYONE says this.  Just read the back of a bag of Kaytee Ferret Fiesta, a
food which is largely made of dried fruit.  It claims to be a perfect
ferret diet.  Every kind of food out there claims to be nutritionally
perfect and have high quality standards, yadda yadda yadda.  How good would
it be for PR if the folks from Iams said, "Well, you know, we *are* selling
out to a bigger company, and, in order to remain competitive, we'll almost
certainly have to cut our costs, probably by replacing some of the more
costly ingredients in our formula with cheaper alternatives."?  Which is
essentially the truth.

Who knows--maybe nothing will change.  But if you compare the prices of
grocery-store brands, and pet-store brands, the difference is huge.  So is
the list on the ingredient label.  I urge those who feed Iams to keep an
eye on the labels.  I personally don't understand how they'll be able to
compete with the lower prices of Purina and Friskies without changing their
food significantly.

I'm a label-reader.  Always.  :-)

Jen and the Crazy Business