From:
Cheri Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:09:41 CDT
As a vegetarian for some 39 years, I did not feel personally flamed by
Bob's comments.  However, I do feel I must speak briefly to this topic :).
While all agriculture is ecologically destructive to some extent, one must
take into consideration the fact that most farmland in this country is used
for the production of livestock feed, not human consumables, thus making a
vegetarian diet the more environmentally sound choice for humans.

That being said, although it disturbs me to feed my animals slaughterhouse
products, I will never force them to adopt a diet that is unhealthy or
questionable where their well-being is concerned.  Perhaps one day, as
Sukie suggested, science will create a palatable plant-based carnivore (is
that an oxymoron? :)) diet which meets all our furkids' nutritional needs
and offers none of the disadvantages currently presented by plant
materials, at which time, if I'm still around, my kids will go veggie too.

On a lighter note, despite my initial dislike of the name, I'm calling the
new kid Snoopy after all.  He's had enough recent changes without having
to learn a new name too.  He is a darling - the only one of my fuzzbutts
who will sleep in my lap.  He has integrated into my little business
beautifully, although Poo still feels the need to occasionally remind him
who's boss around here :).

Our love and prayers to all the sick and lost ones,
Cheri, Chadley, Poo, Oona, Snoopy, Alex the dog and the seven kitties