From:
Aimee Montalbano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:57:08 EDT
I realize that this subject has already been discussed at length, but I
failed to read my e-mail for several weeks and felt that things should be
clarified.  Melissa Warren posted information about what you would get if
you crossed this with that.  The last two examples she gave worked out fine,
but the first two made no sense to me given that Mendelian laws still apply.
She may be right, but I'm not so sure.  Zen has also responded that the
albino gene is diluted to produce certain colors.  This may also be true.
There is only one way to find out.

I currently hold degrees in both Biology and Genetics.  This topic
fascinates me, so I want to rectify the situation.  Here is what I propose.

There is a relatively simple way to determine what is happening with the
genes (ie: independent assortment, mutations, incomplete dominance, etc...),
but I need help and lots of information to do it.  What I need is for every
breeder to e-mail me the following information:

I need the color of the parents, how many offspring produced per litter, and
the color of each individual ferret offspring in each litter.  Please note
that parents can have more than one litter, but the numbers and colors
should remain distinct from other litters.  For example (I just made this
up, so it's not real): Chocolate female mated to Chocolate male.  6 live
offspring produced.  1 was stillborn.  Offspring were 5 chocolates and 1
albino.  The same female was then bred to an albino male.  8 offspring born
(no deaths or stillborns).  4 chocolates and 4 albinos present in the litter.

Please note: Family trees are also helpful if and when possible.  In order
for this to work, I need good, accurate numbers, and lots of them.  The more
information I can collect, the more certain I can be of what process results
in albino ferrets.  If anyone is interested in finding out this process,
PLEASE send the requested information to [log in to unmask]

If there are any questions regarding the information requested, please
contact me at the above address and I will respond as soon as possible.
Don't worry, I'm checking my e-mail frequently now.  Thanks.

Aimee and her 10 Hellions