From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:24:47 -0500
Hi X,

The "birdseed" look to his feces is actually undigested fat.  Still hard
to tell what is causing his chronic loose stools, but my first guess
would be maldigestion/malabsorption of fat because of previous damage to
his intestinal tract from ECE.  Some of these cases take 6+ months to
completely resolve.  Pediapred can help in some of these cases.  I also
try endosorb and Kaeopectate to try to firm up the feces.  These can be
frustrating, but usually the ferrets do just fine despite the mucoid
diarrhea.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM